Pilis lies in the country of Pest, south-east of the capital Budapest. Main road 4 runs through the town, wich also has its own railway station (on the Budapest-Cegléd-Záhony line). The town can be reached on an access road from Motorway M5. The settlement is surrounded with hills and gullied deep valleys in the north as the range of hills of Gödöllő-Ceglédbercel and the sand ridge between the Rivers Danube and Tisza meet here. In the south real lowlands can be admired.
Nowadays more than 12.000 inhabitants live in the settlement where the endeavours, the conceptions for development after the change of regime gradually served the today realized aim that Pilis gained the title of a town in 2005.
There are various explanations for the name of the village. On the basis of a few written documents, it is believed that Pylis was the name of a Hungarian family arriving in the region during the Magyar Conquest. The name „Pilis”, however, may also allude to the typical hairstyle of monks or to the arid land without vegetation, in wich latter case the word would be of Slavic origin.
Archaeological finds show that the area was inhabited in prehistoric times. The first mention of the village in written documents is in 1326. In early times, the land was owned by the Pylisi family, then, after a lapse when it was royal domain, it went into the hands of the Szilassys. Pilis survived the early Turkish battles, but it was destroyed as late as in the 17th century. The town was repopulated in the early 18th century, when János Beleznay and his wife took the lion’s share. Compared to the 10-15 families living here at the time, in 1760, 178 families lived in Pilis, most of them coming from Felvidék, today Slovakia. Hence, in the beginning the population was purely Slovak.
The town has its own sewage-treatment plant. In general, the level of infrastructure is acceptable. 28% of roads is paved. Garbage collection is organised.
The people living here responded to recent political-economic changes by establishing enterprises, wich today number about 550. A lot of people are tied to Budapest in terms of employment. The major local companies are the Pilis Mill, Dolina Agricultural Services, Földfém Kft., Erdőszöv Rt. And the Spurs Kft., which runs a petrol station and an inn just outside Pilis. The rate of unemployment is 3%.
In Pilis, there are a kindergarten, primary schools, a community house and specialised consultation rooms run by the local government.
The Beleznay-Nyáry mansion bulit in 1717, a precious monumental building today housing a primary school for children os disadvantaged families, is a place worth visiting. The park established around the source of the Gerje creek, one of the few creeks rising on a plane, is a favourite recreation area among local people. The wonderfully renovated Baroque evangelic church is one of the largest Baroque churches in the country. It makes a home for one of the biggest provincial evangelic congregations.
The Nyáry Music Festival in summer, including performances by the nation’s most prominent musicians, is a major attractions. The Pop Festival on 20 August is a popular gathering for both fans and bands. The Csilló horse-riding days, though looking back on a tradition of a few years only, attract an increasing number of visitors, most of them from Budapest.
Wine-growing and viticulture goes back to old traditions. The light wines grown on sandy soil are produced in the vineyards in the southern and eastern part of the settlement. In the north the evocative row of wine cellars of Hegyek hollowed in the loess-wall of the Dolina supplements the range of the press-houses and cellars of larger and smaller vineyards.